What you're covered for now the FCO advise against travel
Note: This article was last updated on 24th March. We will do our best to keep the post up-to-date, but due to the fast changing nature of the current situation, some details may be outdated.
As we continually monitor the situation regarding travel abroad, we wanted to provide an update following a change of advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO). You can see the latest from the FCO here.
- The FCO advises against all but essential travel from the UK for 30 days from the 17th March.
- The FCO also advises all British people to return to the UK immediately
Below, you will find a few important updates on how Pluto's travel insurance can help (different insurance providers will be responding in different ways). We've split the update into 4 sections to help you find the information most relevant to you.
I have an upcoming trip
- We always recommend that you follow the FCO's travel advice. And unfortunately, for at least 30 days from 17th March, that means not going abroad.
- We understand that many of you will have trips booked over the next month. And, if you have extended travel disruption cover on your policy you may be covered to cancel your trip and claim back the costs you can't get refunded E.g. flights, accommodation, activities.
- If you need to cancel your trip, please speak with your airline, tour operator and accommodation provider and request a refund or date change where possible. When you submit a claim, you'll need to show evidence of any refunds you've received, or evidence of where you were refused a refund. Please don't cancel your trip until at least 5 days before departure or 5 days before your next trip payment is due.
- Importantly, if you choose to travel against the FCO's advice, with any policy, you would unfortunately invalidate your travel insurance. If you're already abroad, please see below.
I'm already abroad
- We strongly advise you to make an effort to end your trip early and come back to the UK. As a first step, please speak with your airline or tour operator for further assistance.
- If they're not being supportive or there are no commercial flights available, please speak with your local embassy.
- Your safety and wellbeing is the number one priority, so please do what you feel is necessary to return home safely. Please don't feel like you need to wait for any confirmation from us.
- Once you return, if you have the extended travel disruption cover, you can submit a claim for additional travel costs and/or costs for unused pre-paid expenses - E.g. flights, hotels. Please check your policy wording to see exactly what you're covered for.
- Unfortunately, we can never give any traveller confirmation that a specific cost (E.g. an additional flight) will be covered. This is because it must always be reviewed by the claims team after a claim has been submitted. We appreciate this might be frustrating, but we also don't want to say something is covered when it might not be.
- We'll never leave you uninsured because of something out of your control, but we do expect you to try to return home while the FCO is advising you to return to the UK.
How do I know if I have extended travel disruption cover?
Within your purchase confirmation email, policy documents or cover section in the mobile app, we show any extras you've added to your policy. We only show the extras you do have, and we don't show the extras you don't have. So if you have the extended travel disruption extra, it will be listed as one of your extras.
If I don't have the extended travel disruption extra, what do I do?
Your best next step will be to speak to your airline, tour operator or accommodation provider and discuss getting a refund or changing your dates. We've seen the travel industry being much more flexible than normal to help customers out with cancellations and trip changes. If you're abroad, please speak with your airline or embassy to seek additional help getting home.
If you need more information, then feel free to send us an email or message us through the chat in our app. Our replies may be a little slower during these busy times, but you'll always get a human reply within a few hours.